Over the weekend one of my sweet nieces turned a whole 6 years old! She had her birthday party at the ice skating rink & you know I channeled my inner Nancy Kerrigan!
I hate being cold .... like really, really hate it. I had forgotten how incredibly frigid they keep those places. Apparently, I was expecting it to be a comfortable 73* ... you know, with all of the actual ice & everything ... because I forgot to get my coat out of the car. However, it took me about 4 seconds to turn around & retrieve said coat. It is the 21st century ... shouldn't we have the technology to keep ice skating rinks at a cozy 73*?! Is that too much to ask, science???
There's always that scary moment when you first step on the ice & you pray to sweet baby Jesus your legs just don't fly out from underneath you. & now they have those little walker looking contraptions to help all of the little ones learning how to ice skate ... it came in handy for my first few minutes on the ice. Whenever someone would discard their walker & start skating on their own, my mister would yell, " IT'S A MIRACLE .... THEY'RE HEALED!" like a 1980's television evangelist ... cracked me up {I have no idea why our children are totally embarrassed by us?!?}.
One thing I did learn about myself while at the rink .... I think I have unusually weak ankles. What sort of strength training do ankles require exactly?!? Some sort of P90X - ankle edition??? I'm not sure, but it's certainly something I need to look into.
Weak ankles aside ... something wonderful happened about half-way through skate fest!!!! They played "apple bottom jeans" & I was transported to 1995... like I was a 19-year-old college student dancing at the Elbo Room on a Thursday night! Because, while I did not consume alcohol in my college years {or now} ... I did enjoy a dance club or two. & y'all ... "apple bottom jeans" is my jam ... it just is! I thought big brother was going to gouge out his eyeballs after my complete & utter display of dancing genius.
Happy to say, I survived ... the dancing & the ice skating ... & big brother is even still speaking to me. It's what memories are made of! My Mama's Daddy use to say "where there are no fools, there is no fun." Well, guess what?!?! We've got aplenty ... fools & fun! & plenty of memories to go along with both!

No comments:
Post a Comment